What's It About!
It's a real-time strategy (RTS) game which comes from our love of 50s Sci-fi films.
Set in Antarctica you control a team of top scientists researching penguins. Disaster strikes when a satellite carrying an unknown space virus crashes near a penguin colony. The infected penguins quickly mutate and start attacking and infecting anything near them!
Armed with tranquilliser guns your team must develop the cure and heal the penguins before the virus jumps species and infects the whole of the human race.
You control your team of scientists and soldiers (10 maximum) using standard RTS commands. The view is isometric.
You have to use your powers of deduction to find the cure – you select what cure you are going to try, load up the cure into your tranquilser darts and send your team out.
Your team of expert scientists will examine the data and get the results back. You can then adjust the formula and try again until you find the cure.
You start off with a small team but can call on help which will be delivered by helicopter from an off-shore vessel.
Protect your generator - if it gets attacked power stops being provided and your base will start to shut down!
If your island gets overrun - there will be four other islands for you to protect. Fail all five and the virus wins!
You head up a top secret research team consisting of scientists and soldiers at a remote base on a small island in the Antarctic. You and several colonies of penguins are the only inhabitants until the incident occurs!
Your team is made up of Scientists (yellow jackets) and Soldiers (red jackets). Scientists are obviously the people to do the research in the lab but they are also great at mending the generator and treating the wounded in the hospital.
Conditions are harsh and dangerous so highly trained soldiers are available. They move faster than Scientists and are much better shots with the dart rifle that everyone carries.
The base has a collection of buildings located near the middle of the island. There are four small huts used for observation spread around the island.
- this is where you research a cure for the virus. The more people in the lab the faster the results will come through. Click on the RED GREEN and BLUE parts to create a vaccine. Whenever someone leave the lab their dart rifle will be loaded with that formula.
The Main Hut
- The warmest building on the base. People come here to rest and most importantly get warm!
- From here you can order from your support ship extra scientists, soldiers and fuel. The station needs to be manned to work. You can also ask the helicopter to track down the nearest infected penguin.
- Send your injured people here and they will be fixed up by the other people there. Scientists heal people better than soldiers.
- While operational the radar tower will generate a radar map showing the location of your units, the helicopter and what part of the map you are looking at (yellow square indicates the camera's position).
- This is where the helicopter delivers your units and fuel from the support ship. Note the helicopter pilot is under strict orders not to land and to turn back if there are any infected penguins near the pad.
- The generator uses the fuel to power the base. You can switch off the power to unused buildings to save fuel. If the generator gets attacked it will eventually fail. This means things will stop working - including the radar and keeping the huts warm! Scientists are the fastest at repairing damaged generators.
- If while exploring the island your team needs refuge - these huts provide some warmth and protection.
The Vaccine - Lab Results
A vaccine consists of three values - codenamed RED, GREEN and BLUE. You have to figure out what sequence of the parts will cure the virus. For example a virus might be encoded BLUE RED BLUE - so attacking it with a GREEN BLUE RED vaccine will have no affect as the parts do not match.
Whenever a dart hits an infected penguin the lab will start analysing the result (Eval will be displayed). How long it takes to complete the research depends on the number and composition of people in the lab. Scientists work much faster than soldiers. If the vaccine is not the cure you get told the number of parts correct. ONE means you have one of the parts correct. TWO, two of the parts correct. Using your powers of deduction you should be able to work out the cure!
- Work out what the vaccine to the space virus is.
- Administer it to the infected Penguins.
- Be quick with your research as the virus can mutate - so all your research will have to be scrapped and you'll have to start again!
- It's cold there so your team can't stay out there forever. You'll have to bring your team back to the huts to warm them up.
- Make sure you do not run out of fuel - when needed you can request it from your support ship using the radio station.
- Make sure your team does not get infected. ManGuin is the scientific term for whan a human becomes infected by the alien virus. The human will then attack non-infected humans.
- Select units by left clicking them with the mouse.
- Right click on the terrain to move the selected units.
- Right click on a building to move the unit into the building.
- Left click on a building to see who is in there - and use the panel (bottom right) to get them to exit.
- Move the view using WADS or arrow keys. F or R raises the camera. Q or E to rotate. C to revert to default view.
- Main keyboard keys 0 to 9 select your unit. Shift to group select.
- Numpad keys can also be used to move the view.
- Left click on the radar panel to move the view to that part of the island.
- Firing is automatic whenever an infected penguin is near.
- To reload your tranquiliser gun visit the lab.
Enjoy saving the World!
Intel i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD equivalent
8 GB RAM
DirectX Version: DX11 (shader model 3) with 2 GB VRAM
300 MB available space
Mouse & Keyboard required